Wednesday, January 4, 2012

"AGE IS OPPORTUNITY"; IT'S NOT TOO LATE:

I truly believe it is never too late to accomplish a dream or desire. I've always admired people who could run marathons and other athletes. I've jogged a mile or more in my younger years, and momentarily considered what it would be like to run a marathon. This week I decided that I'm going to run a marathon. I know nothing about running a marathon, but I have a desire; and I'm acting on it. I Facebooked Myrna Jackson who runs marathons and asked her how to get started.  She so graciously found a program on the internet for me to follow and suggested the Martian Race as a start. I commenced my program today. The Martian Race is both 5K and 10K and is scheduled for April 2012. I will, of course, start with the 5K, thanks Myrna. I am not starting as a couch potato; I began getting myself back in good physical shape a couple of years ago, but have not yet reached all my goals.  I am in it to win--proper diet and all (no more ice cream binges).  I can't say it enough. God made the most forgiving, efficient, and wonder machine when She made the human body. Even people with physical challenges have accomplished magnificent goals with a dream and discipline.  What is it you want to do? Do your homework; network for information, support, and lasting relationships; and let's go!

Never Too Late

By Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

“It is too late! Ah, nothing is too late—
Cato learned Greek at eighty;
Sophocles
Wrote his grand “Oedipus,” and Simonides
Bore off the prize of verse from his compeers
When each had numbered more than fourscore years;
And Theophrastus, at fourscore and ten,
Had begun his “Characters of Men.”
Chaucer, at Woodstock, with his nightingales,
At sixty wrote the “Canterbury Tales.”
Goethe, at Weimar, toiling to the last,
Completed “Faust” when eighty years were past.
What then? Shall we sit idly down and say,
“The night has come; it is no longer day”?
For age is opportunity no less
Than youth itself, though in another dress.
And as the evening twilight fades away,
The sky is filled with stars, invisible by day.
It is never too late to start doing what is right.
Never.


Wadsworth had it right! Consider the example of Mrs. Ernestine Shephard who began bodybuilding late in life (60's I believe). She is now 74 yrs old. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/29/ernestine-shepherd-worlds-oldest-female-bodybuilder_n_868577.html

 




LET'S GO! YOU CAN DO IT!

No comments: